Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Catching up - Graduation

Yep, you heard me right.  I graduated!!!  I'm officially a Dr. now! (of the PhD kind, so please don't ask me about your mole.  Unless you're just looking for someone to go 'EW!' with you because I can totally do that!)  There was cake and everything!


My defense was held on Dec. 21, 2012.


Yes, the day the world was supposed to end.  I figured either way it was a win/win situation for me.  Either the world would end and I wouldn't have to defend.  Or the world would keep on spinning and my defense would be over by the end of the day.  Happily the world didn't end and I successfully defended my thesis!!!  (If you're wondering, yes, the picture above WAS part of my defense talk.  Had to give a shout out to my love of fibery things.)

Gigi came up for my defense and for graduation.  She surprised me with a 'congrats on your successful defense' hat with beetles on it.  I had already made myself an awesome highlighter scarf out of Madtosh Pashmina to celebrate the occasion.  They don't match at all, but they kept me toasty all through winter.


Graduation was great! Gigi, Elle, the twins (TK and KT), and of course Hubbie all came. (There were a limited number of tickets otherwise it would have been a madhouse!) The cap and gown for graduation were pretty ridiculous.


Hubbie joked that I looked like I was doing Harry Potter cosplay. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)  It rained really hard that morning which made me happy. (I love the rain!  It also helps that I didn't get soaked. :-D)

Gigi and the twins gave me flowers.  Peonies all around. (My favorite! They were SO pretty!!!!)  GiGi brought me one from her garden at home.



It still doesn't feel quite real.  I've been asked several times if I have a PhD, and a couple of times I've almost said no.  But I'm getting there.  How can it not be true?  There was cake and balloons.  They wouldn't lie, right?


I'll try not to let it go to my head,
Dr. Joyce

2 comments:

jj said...

Whew. Glad that's over with😉. I'm exhausted.

mudder17 said...

Aha! I see that's why you disappeared--you were working on that maddening thing called the dissertation! Congratulations on an amazing job well done getting through all the hard work!