Monday, October 10, 2011

Baby sweaters and bibs: or what I did on my summer vacation

I am pleased to say that I that I managed to finish the sweater and bib for Athie before the baby was born.


And by pleased I mean shocked that I finished it before the baby was born.  Partly because I'm not good with deadlines but mostly because it, like most of my sweaters, stalled on the sleeves. I am aware of how ridiculous this is because it's a baby sweater. Baby sweaters are easy to make, so it's not like I'm going to have to spend months knitting intricate cabled long sleeves for a man's sweater. It's a baby sweater.  But it's finished now (with short sleeves).


It's also the first time I've sewn buttons on a sweater.  Yes, there are at least five buttonless sweaters out there just hanging open and unable to meet their full warmness potential because I'm a lazy finisher.  But not this one, by golly!

In addition to the sweater, I also knit Athie a bib.



The bib is more of a gag gift than a baby gift. You see when Athie told me that she was having a girl, she forbid me from making her something in what she called 'baby pink'. Athie is not fond of pastel colors. She is very into the earth tones and deep saturated color. So the sweater I knit for the baby is in a warm yellow with slight shades of green and red. The bib however is in baby pink (the picture does not do the color justice). Those of you that know me, and after several years of friendship Athie should, are aware that expressly forbidding me from doing something in like waving a red flag in front of a bull. So of course when she said "Don't give me anything in baby pink." I had to make something for her in baby pink. So I got some Sugar-N-Cream cotton and improvised a bib for her. I'm going to give that one to her first and then the sweater second. I cannot wait to see the look on her face.

Hopefully she doesn't kill me,
Joyce

No comments: